cFactual is a newly-founded strategy consulting service and think tank that aims to have a positive impact by helping people improve the world and having a positive influence on important decisions, particularly in the EA meta and AI governance space (we are open to growing into other cause areas if that is your fit).
As part of a dynamic startup, your role will be entrepreneurial and strategic in nature. Successful candidates will not only be responsible for delivering excellent client work but will also contribute to cFactual’s internal strategy-setting and operations. In fact, we expect that most of the impact of this role will come from influencing our joint trajectory and accelerating your personal development.
Tasks and responsibilities
These might vary according to your seniority and comparative advantage*
Client work: Sell and execute projects at the highest quality and be a trusted advisor
– Drive your own work streams or projects independently
– Think deeply, independently and critically about the client’s challenges, appreciating an unpredictable environment and acting as a go-to sparring partner
Strategy Development: Contribute to cFactual’s strategic direction
– Participate in quarterly organizational strategy reviews and priority-setting
– Contribute to growing our existing offerings and exploring new markets and products
Operational contribution: Contribute to one or several aspects of cFactual’s daily operations infrastructure, which may entail one of the following
– Lead the implementation and improvement of selected processes, protocols, and policies to help optimize the organization’s daily operations
– Help establish a cFactual Fellowship to grow the pipeline of EA strategists and experts
Team and Culture: Contribute to a culture of continuous improvement and growth mindset within cFactual by:
– Support our recruitment to grow the team also in the future
– Shape a mindful, caring, humble and ambitious working culture
You’ll be a great fit for this role if you:
– Have at least one year of experience at a leading strategy consulting firm, an EA(-adjacent) organization or another relevant institution
– Are familiar with effective altruism and/or applied rationality
– Have epistemic humility and the ability to reason deeply, independently, and transparently (e.g., you’re able to think quantitatively about uncertainty). On the margin, we care more about getting things right than moving fast
– Excel both in terms of macro-level ability to think strategically about priorities and micro-level ability to be proactive, diligent, solutions-focused, and detail-oriented
– Have a strong work ethic, and adept at working independently
– Are direct and open in giving and receiving feedback, feel comfortable with disagreeing with others, and are willing to have honest and truth-seeking discussions
– Are growth-oriented and able to focus on the most impactful course of action
– Have an entrepreneurial mindset and modest, hands-on attitude
– Can help create a positive culture and build strong interpersonal relationships
– Are excited about impact maximization
Benefits to you
Work in an environment that
– Provides relevant learning opportunities and helps you flourish. We believe our employees are our most important assets, so we offer an annual learning and development budget of up to 2,000 USD per year and a time budget of up to 10% for personal high-impact projects and upskilling. We’re willing to offer more for particularly compelling opportunities for you to learn and develop
– Supports you in finding and/or exploiting your highly impactful niche, whether this is within one of our existing pillars or a new pillar
– Has a humble, focused and sustainable high-performance culture
– May provide an unusually fast career trajectory both internally and externally
– Offers career exploration and capital by providing the experience of working in a start-up, in a consulting and research organization, and with leading EA organizations, all at the same time
This might be a great opportunity for you to have a potentially outsized counterfactual impact, with a start-up that has found some product-market fit.
Compensation and Logistics
We want to identify and attract the most promising candidates and are willing to tailor working conditions based on your needs. Hence, we are open to full-time, part-time, or project-based contracting structures. We are also open to working with fellows (e.g., during a leave from their consulting firm for 1-6 months) or colleagues doing a [tour of duty](https://lloydmelnick.com/2014/10/23/using-tours-of-duty-to-have-a-better-company-employee-relationship/) for 1 year.
Compensation: Salary is adjusted based on commensurate experience and location. We expect to offer roughly 60%-80% of a typical MBB consultant salary and/or the top 10% of NGO salaries in your area, capped at roughly a project leader level.
Work Location: We anticipate that successful candidates will be based remotely, and place no constraints on location aside from a 2-hour overlap of the workday with Central European Summer Time (GMT+2). cFactual’s current and future staff are based in various countries, but we try to co-locate regularly at client sites, in our respective cities, or before and after EAG conferences.
Start date: As soon as possible